What Is There Not To Like About Exercise?

Posted by Fizaazida | Thursday, July 10, 2008 | 0 comments »

By: Jerome Kellner


There is just nothing like daily aerobic exercise, like walking, jogging, biking, aerobics. Yes, strength (or resistance) training should be a regular part of your exercise week, but for me, the foundation of all fat loss and fitness is daily aerobic exercise.

Like many people, I long ago got to a point in my life where if I do not get at least some form of pretty vigorous, aerobic exercise during the day, I miss it, big time. I can get irritable, cranky and into other negative states. I miss my exercise high, it is as simple as that.

I am also tempted to overeat if I miss my exercise. I know this has to do with missing that exercise high. As a guy who has been known to eat if he is frustrated, bored or in most any other negative state, I think I am right. Miss my exercise high, and I am tempted to find pleasure from feeding my face. For all these reasons, I do not have a problem getting exercise every day. I really enjoy it. It is a positive, healthy addiction for me and a lot of other people.

I say all this because I know a lot of people do not share my enthusiasm. Particularly people who have been couch potatoes for a while. Or all of their lives. Well, if you are interested in losing weight and getting fit, you have got to turn that around. Like 180 degrees around. Shoot for getting like me and all those other people who now love exercising (there was a time in my life I was a pretty accomplished coach potato myself).

When you can get to that point, and it is not too far off if you have not been exercising regularly recently, get to the point where you really do not want to miss your exercise, then you are on a wonderful roll.

Until then, here are some reminders that can motivate you to exercise, hopefully daily. Including the final findings, which to me are some of the most exciting scientific discoveries of all time, truly remarkable.

Exercise releases endorphins that make us feel good.
It increases blood flow throughout the brain, which nourishes it so that it can function at its peak, and favorably affect our moods.

Exercise increases blood flow to all of the body. A body that is constricted does not feel good. Even moderate exercise has been linked to a better sex life, for both females and males.

Exercise gives exercisers a general sense of well being that those who are sedentary (that means sitting a lot) do not experience. They have increased energy and a healthy appetite. They sleep well and are usually happier.

Exercise makes many people feel just as good as if they were taking antidepressant medications or other pharmaceuticals. Exercising improves work performance. Studies show workers who exercise improved their mental performance, time management and ability to meet deadlines.

Exercise is essential to good health in our fast-paced, stressful lives, particularly since it gives us more energy and keeps us from feeling lethargic.

Exercise increases metabolism. It also helps keep our appetite in balance, and keeps our weight down. It helps normalize melatonin production in the brain and enhances the sleep cycle.

Here are some of those fascinating discoveries I mentioned. The most remarkable of all are new studies showing exercise may well spur growth in a brain structure associated with memory, leading to improved function, no matter what your age. And scientists are coaxing the brain into growing new cells, by putting people on an aerobic workout program.

This whole area of coaxing the brain into growing new cells is nothing short of amazing, because science heretofore said this was impossible, the brain just does not work that way. Not anymore, the most recent studies say. These latest findings have turned that thinking on its head, no pun intended. And exercise is the key.

But we do not have to understand all the science to reap all the incredible benefits of daily exercise. There is just nothing like it. We just have to do it.







Keyword Articles: http://www.keywordarticles.org

Jerome Kellner is author of The Maui Diet. He's lived on Maui since 1972 and keeps fit biking, hiking, swimming, snorkeling, kayaking and exercising in his outdoor gym. See www.themauidiet.com

0 comments